Online booking

Book a stay

San Lorenzo Door

Porta San Lorenzo used to be the gateway to enter the city for those coming from the valleys north of Bergamo and from the other side of the Alps.

It owes its ancient name to the church that stood on the spot and that was demolished by the Veneto government to build the Walls. The second name with which it is known, Porta Garibaldi, derives instead from an important historical event: in June 1859 Giuseppe Garibaldi, under the command of his volunteers the “Cacciatori delle Alpi” (Alpine Hunters), entered Bergamo through this gate and freed it from the Austrian domination.